The property was named Fire Gully after two large bush fires, in 1952 and 1970, ravaged the gully in the centre of the block. The Fire Gully vineyard is well-hidden from the road with a long, narrow strip flowing back to the main paddocks: so it's pretty much unknown. It is one of the Willyabrup region's most attractive and spectacular vineyards with views from the higher blocks looking over the dam, vineyards and natural bushland.
From 1946 the property was owned and run by Ellis and Margaret Butcher, some of the original pioneers of the region, who planted vines on their farm in 1988. It was purchased by Michael Peterkin of Pierro in 1998. With Michael Peterkin planting further vines on the property in the following years.
Fire Gully is adjacent to Moss Wood and a kilometre from Pierro Vineyards. It is influenced by the brook system that runs through the property and out to the coast four kilometres away. The sea breeze drifts up the brook to the vineyard moderating the summer temperatures.
All of the grapes are hand picked at sunrise and taken in small buckets to the Pierro winery. From here, the team at Pierro craft the wines under the guidance of Dr. Peterkin, The wines are hand made and blended in small batches .The Fire Gully wines express the very essence of Margaret River regionality and quality and are recognised for consistent excellence with each passing vintage.